Friday, April 22, 2016

Barbria DeÁnne Pays Tribute to Prince Rogers Nelson.


The world and the music industry as we have grown to know it has changed forever.  For on April 21, 2016 we lost our sweet Prince.  Prince Rogers Nelson has passed away at the age of 57.

While an autopsy is still pending a world of mourners, like myself, are running through a whole gamut of emotions.  The first emotion is shock, then tears, then gratefulness.  Then there are those of us who are hoping this is just the worst and latest April Fools Joke anyone has ever played.


I never had a chance to meet Prince personally, however his music and heart was very much a part of my life.  My first chance to meet Prince was in Chicago.  I waited for hours and turned down a gig to try to get tickets for his show.  I didn't get tickets and to make matters worse, Prince showed up at the very gig I turned down in an effort to see him. 

My second opportunity:  I usually don't like to call in favors, yet this is Prince.  A young man who had a crush on me was working on Prince's road crew.  He asked if I would like a ticket to the show and a backstage pass.  Normally, I would have tuned him down, however it was Prince.  Not knowing the guy that well, I asked if he could bypass the backstage pass and get me two tickets, one for me and my sister.  See I was just a fan, my sister was a fanatic (backstage passes and a fanatic don't mix.)  At any rate the guy agreed to leave the tickets at will call.

Once my sister and I arrived and paid for parking we immediately went to will call.  There were no such tickets available.  Almost in tears and parked in a parking lot full of Prince fans, my sister and I were stuck and going nowhere until the end of the concert.  We then decided to try the scalpers, yet, they wanted too much money.

So here we were, on the other side of a Prince concert, with no place to go.  We even had on purple, ruffles and pearls.  When out of nowhere, this guy walks up to us and asked if we needed tickets.  In synch we both answered, "how much?"  He then said, " here you go, free of charge, enjoy yourselves."  We both stood there in amazement with our mouths wide open.  This mystery guy was several feet away before we could utter thank you out of our mouths.  By the time I looked at the tickets Mr. Generous had given us.  I noticed he handed me four front row tickets, for FREE.

With minutes left before the doors closed and Prince would hit the stage, we stopped screaming long enough to run inside and head as close to the stage as we could get.  What a moment, What a show.  Prince was by far a musical genius and the sexiest Sexy MF you ever wanted to see. 


Not just an entertainer, musician, artist and songwriter etc., Prince had the ability to use every fiber of his being to create a musical moment for so many lives.  His music could make you laugh, could make you cry, could make you dance and could make you think.  Prince didn't just make music, he made it possible for independent artists to be allowed to do what they do. 

Therefore, as an independent recording artists that was heavily influenced by Prince's music and his struggle,  I say Thank You.

Goodnight sweet Prince.  May God bless you.