Sunday, May 8, 2022

Happy Mother's Day

Ten years ago I lost a woman who meant the world to me. My Best friend, vocal coach, Confidant, staunch supporter, fellow shoe lover and Mother.

While still trying to come to grips with this new club that I have unwillingly become a part of. I have to open my heart to give condolences to all of my friends who celebrate this holiday without their mothers.

Mother’s Day is the day that we honor and appreciate our Mothers. Most people will go to church, go to a brunch, buy gifts and flowers and be with their mothers. However, what about us that no longer have our Mother’s to just love on and spoil for one more day.


I am constantly reminded of the last time I Spoke with my mother. Her words were simply, "God’s gonna bless you." I stopped her and said, "he already has. He blessed me with you."

Later that night my Mother would take her last breath. The last breaths my Mother took were breaths she had given me, for I gave her CPR. I won’t go too much further into that because it is still a very raw memory. However, I can say that my Mother never stopped teaching me and showing me love. Because it was in that very last moment that my Mother taught me, that everything I am and ever hope to be I owe to my Mother.

I had and continue to have an unconditional Love for that woman. The woman who, as a teenager, I thought she was on me every given moment and wouldn’t leave me alone for a second. She wouldn’t leave me to my own devices and allow me to just grow up. She raised me, with a God fearing stern hand, and a belt, if necessary. And I am a much better person for it.

My Mom would always tell her children and any child, she came in contact with, to honor your Mother and your Father, for your days will be longer on this land in which the Lord thy God has given thee. The older I get the more I honor, appreciate and understand my parents and the struggles they went through to make me feel like a spoiled little brat that had the best and was deserving of only the best. For that I am eternally grateful.

Most people are fortunate to have one mother in their lives to help mold them into valuable members of society. I was fortunate enough to have and know at least four mothers. Four strong willed, God fearing, independent business minded Women. This doesn’t include my grandmothers of which I only knew one, it includes my aunts who readily stepped in to care for me and stand in whenever my mother was busy.

I am truly an extremely blessed woman. I never had a concert, a play, a job or even a debate team event where I didn’t have a representative. If mom and dad were busy, Annie was there. Every weekend either Aunt Vera or Aunt Reba was there. They didn’t have children of their own however, they were our authority figures and deserved and demanded our respect and admiration.

So on this Mother’s day I would like to pay tribute to my Mother, Grandmother and my Aunts who acted as my other mothers. They say it takes a village and I am a prime example of that village.

Thank you for selflessly giving your time and love and helping me to become the woman I am today.
Rest in Heavenly Peace.
Happy Mother’s Day.

This song I wrote to honor my Mother. However, I would like to dedicate it to those of us who no longer have our Mother’s with us on Mother’s Day.

"If I could write a letter to Heaven."




For those of you who still have your Mothers, please hug them, love them and thank them. Life is definitely not the same without them.

Special Thanks to my lifetime Friend Tina M. Riley, thank you for making me a God Mother. God Bless you and a very Happy Mother’s Day to You. I am very sorry for your loss.