Monday, June 8, 2015

Barbria Honors Jazz Great and Chicago Piano Legend, Corky McClerkin.



My heart is really heavy right now to hear the extremely sad news of the passing my long time friend and favorite Piano player, Corky McClerkin and his wife Winnie.

My very first paid gig in Chicago was with Corky and Curtis Prince. Being too young to sing in clubs at that time it was Corky and Curtis that pleaded with my parents to allow me to sing Jazz around Chicago. It was Corky and Winnie that welcomed me in their home and helped me learn enough Jazz songs to get through a gig.



Corky was by far more than just a Jazz musician and his wife Winnie was far more than a mere wife.
They were musical parents to many, activists and devoted soul mates to one another. How fitting that they would leave this life together.



I am so heart broken right now. However, I will forever remember the incredibly loud laughter that would fill any room. For those of you who know my laugh you can imagine how loud this could get.

Corky and Winnie, I truly appreciate everything you did to help me along my musical journey. I Love You Both and will miss you forever.

Corky’s last Facebook post was informing us that June is Black Music Month, which I have reposted below. Little did we know we would be honoring and appreciating Corky for his incredible Contributions. Please read and head his Post.

Rest In Peace, Good Friends. You will be missed.




Corky McClerkin
June is Black Music Month. This may give the impression that Jazz, Gospel, Hip Hop, Blues, Du-wops, Rap, Swing, Ragtime, Bebop AND Classical are not positive and influential parts of our daily lives during the other 11 months. They are and always will be. Take Mother's Day. I'm glad we celebrate this day but how many of us treat our mothers less than they deserve the other 11 months? But I digress. Support Black Music this month. If you can, attend a LIVE performance of one our two of your favorite musicians. Buy their records. Applaud their creativity. I have over 1000 friends. Many of you I know well. Many I don't. Visit iTunes, CD Baby, Spotify, or Rhapsody and listen to my music. Perhaps you will find a song that makes you laugh, think of a very special memory, sends you somewhere in the future, or simply heals your soul. Let us celebrate our History by celebrating our Music. Our Ancestors were Kings and Queens. Let us not forget: So Are We.