Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Rest In Peace, Master Sargeant, Walter C. Washington Jr.

Today I learned of the passing of my life-long friend. 

 I would not only like to say thank you for your service to my lifelong friend Master Sergeant Walter C. Washington, I would also like to offer my condolences to his family.

I have known Walter my entire life. In fact he would have known me before I knew of him. He attended my parents wedding.

So many firsts in my life can be attributed to this one man who’s influence has helped so many others.

My first place win in a science fair in grade school
My A from an F in Algebra in high school
My first Concert which was also my babysitting experience at Great America (big ups to Camille, by far his most rambunctious kid.) Oddly enough this concert turned out the be the defining moment in my singing career where I looked at the Band performing on stage and said to myself “I’m gonna do that.”
My first horseback riding experience
My first softball experience
My First Backgammon, spades and domino experience (yes I still have my backgammon board and domino set)
My move to Atlanta and on and on.

Also, it was absolutely hilarious watching him, in the rear view mirror, try to chase me down the street after teaching me how to drive a manual transmission vehicle. (Good times, good times)

I can’t tell what an honor it was for me as a child to witness him walking in formation in the Bud Billiken Day Parade.

Not realizing it then, because he was simply  Walter to me. Yet this one man who was an integral part of my life and upbringing influenced and trained so many others that continue to influence and train so many others and that seed continues to grow. It is really quite amazing when you think about it.

His mom Augusta, my aunt Annie and my mom Bobbie, who referred to him as little Walter right up until the end, were all so very proud of him and so was I.

 I am so glad that he had been a part of my life.

I honor him, I appreciate him, I love him and I salute him.

Hooah Master Sarge, Hooah!

Rest in Peace, My Friend and Thank You for everything. 





In true Walter Washington style.  Here is his last first for me.  My first military send off.
I will love and miss you forever.  Thank you for being my friend.