Friday, September 25, 2015

Sanging Ain't Pretty...




 Hey Barbies,

While updating my website I came across a few pictures of myself singing.  All of these pictures looked as if I was in real pain for sure.  It took me back to something my mother told me when I was trying to mimic Jennifer Holliday singing "And I'm Telling You."

She simply said, after chastising me for trying to be Jennifer Holliday, that if you can’t feel a song, you can’t sing that song.

What she meant was, pantomiming someone or just regurgitating words in a certain key, does not a singer make.
Phil Davis, Dr. Derrek Scott, Barbria and Melvin Miller.
The marking of a true singer is someone that can make the hairs on your arms stand up at attention.
Better yet, someone that can lift you up, carry you to a place you’ve never been before and never physically touch you.

This is a statement that has stuck with me over the years and after looking at pictures of myself, mid song, I apparently learned this lesson all too well.

With pain on my face, eyes closed and mouth wide open, raring back as if to scream to the heavens, I am pouring heart and soul into whatever song I’m singing...  leads me to the hash-tag #Singingaintpretty. 




I can’t be the only one that has photo’s like these, I am rocking my ugly for sure. 

So for you singers out there, display your UGLY proudly, that only means you have touched someone else’s heart.  What comes from the heart reaches the heart.